Sunday, November 22, 2009

Gibbon's History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

A good friend of mine recommended the reading of the above book last night. My good wife downloaded the 6 volumes onto my kindle for 3 dollars this morning. I hope that I have the full version and not an abridged version. Please feel free to join me in the reading of these volumes. I will add my notes and thoughts as I journey through the ages. I will also add the thoughts of others. Please feel free to add yours too.
Reading through the chapter headings, it is evident that we will be starting at the pre-Christian era and journeying through the early Christian period and crusading right up to the middle ages.
Edward Gibbon (1737-1794) was both a historian and a Member of Parliament. These 6 volumes were published during a 12 year period, between 1776 and 1788. Interestingly, this coincides with the birth of an existing world power, the United States of America.
I am interested in what I will discover about the blood of the martyrs, which has been described by Tertullian (160-225), an early Christian writer, as the seed of the church. I want to understand the dynamics of these times and help to establish lessons from this history. I will try to make connections or draw parallels to what is happening in the world today. I will also include my readings and research from other sources. Please don't hesitate to add your own insights and thoughts to this journey. Your participation will make my own journey more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment